This tasty roast lamb has a Mediterranean twist, with pistachios, oregano and cinnamon in the stuffing.
Prep: 15Cook: Level: Easy
Calories per serving: 675
If your looking for a twist on the traditional Easter lunch recipe then this easy carve Greek stuffed lamb is perfect.
It’s packed full of flavour using garlic cloves, oregano, cinnamon, pistachio kernals and feta cheese. The top of the lamb is brushed with honey half way though the cooking process.
A boned leg of lamb will produce all of the flavours of an on the bone leg of lamb, but cooks a lot faster and can be more heavily flavoured since it lends itself to being stuffed. You can use any flavour combinations you like, but it’s always important to bind your stuffing with breadcrumbs and egg.
You can always make a gravy out of the meat juices that are produced during the cooking process of any meat. You just need to add a couple of tablespoons of plain flour to them, then slowly whisk in an appropriately flavoured stock, (beating out any lumps), boil until thickened and check for seasoning.
If you’re looking to get ahead before the friends and family arrive, you can prepare to end of step 3 in this recipe up to 24hr ahead.
- (4 ½lb) boned and rolled leg of lamb
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 15 g (½oz) pack fresh oregano, leaves picked
- 100 g (3 ½oz) pistachio kernals
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100 g (3 ½oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- Juice and zest 1 lemon
- 100 g (3 ½oz) feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 300 ml (10 fl oz (½ pint)) dry white wine
- 3 tbsp. runny honey
- Remove lamb from fridge 1hr before cooking. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) mark 6.
- For the stuffing, put garlic, oregano, cinnamon, pistachios, egg, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and zest into a small food processor and whizz until just combined. Add feta, season with black pepper; pulse once.
- Put lamb skin-side down on a board, remove string and open out. Without piercing skin, make slits in the larger parts of the leg to help flatten it. Cover with clingfilm and bash with a rolling pin. Spread over stuffing, then roll up from one short end to the other and secure with string at 3cm (1¼in) intervals, and at each end.
- Put lamb into a roasting tin, brush with oil and season. Pour wine into tin; roast for calculated time (medium-rare: 15min per 450g/1lb; well done: 25min per 450g/1lb). After 1hr, brush with honey and cook for remaining time. Remove from tin; rest for 20min before carving.
Tip: To make gravy: Skim fat from cooking juices, and then stir in 2tbsp plain flour to form a thick paste. Cook over medium heat for 2min, stirring. Whisk in 900ml (1½ pint) stock until smooth, bring to boil, then stir over a medium heat for 5min, or until thickened.
Get Ahead: Prepare to end of step 3 up to 24hr ahead; keep chilled until 1hr before cooking.
- Calories: 675
- Fiber: 2 g
- Total carbs: 11 g
- Sugars: 6 g
- Total fat: 42 g
- Saturated fat: 17 g
- Protein: 54 g